Cover photo from the Powerhouse
Museum, Tyrell Collection. No known copyright restrictions. The
Tyrrell Collection consists of 7903 glass plate negatives from the
studios of Charles Kerry (1857-1928) and Henry King (1855-1923) who
had two of Sydney’s principal photographic studios in the late 1800s
and early 1900s. The collection – an important record of city and
country life - was bought by James R. Tyrrell in 1929 and sold in
1980 to Australian Consolidated Press who donated it to the
Powerhouse Museum in 1985. All the photographs in the collection
were intended for sale: first as prints, and later as postcards when
the craze for collecting them began.
is a nonprofit journal of the arts published by Six Bad Apples Press,
P.O. Box 369, Calvert, Texas 77837, USA.